Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Viewfinder

Yesterday after work, my friend bugged me into the idea of him interested to get a digital single lens reflex (DSLR) camera. I was happy to talk with him about it since I am in love with photography not so much with the technology involved with photography. So, I asked him what's lacking with your point and shoot?

That question basically check-mated him as if he was playing chess with me. It took him like minutes of shutdown before he gave me a long and non-consistent list of answers. I don't need him to convince me, but rather I doubt if he was really into photography or only just poisoned by the trend of having a DSLR.

Still I accompanied him to town just to check out some of the latest DSLRs available. Well, he was very knowledgeable regarding each of the camera's specifications as well as image quality aka noise. Still, I am not sure what is really in DSLRs that made him go for it besides technical sides.

For me, I love photography but it didn't click when I was holding a point and shoot, I don't like looking at screen and framing at once to capture a moment. For me live-view is useful only if I shoot video which I really don't enjoy or taking shots using a tripod and perspective from the ground.

Still, I prefer the viewfinder. I prefer to get down on the ground myself just to get that shot instead of looking into the live-view screen. When I frame the picture through the viewfinder, it feels like I get what I wanted just like what I imagined it to be. That is why viewfinder size, clarity and brightness in a camera is important for me. 

Next would be the controls, to get the correct exposure as well as let in the amount of light I want in to the camera sensor, I must be able to control, the camera's shutter speed, the film speed and also the opening of the lens. So, a DSLR camera of my preference should have two control dials.

Ergonomics is truly important for me, so the grip should be comfortable to hold, not too small, not too thick but it should allow a firm grip. Buttons placement not too much and arranged in a proper way for easy reach. Shouldn't be too small either.

For those who hate the bulk of a DSLR shouldn't even think of buying one, as DSLRs are bulky and quite heavy once lenses are mounted. So, just walk-away and pick one of those smaller mirrorless cameras which can also provide excellent image quality.

A big plus for shooting using a DSLR are interchangeable lenses, but pick only lenses which you will definitely use most of the time. Lenses aren't cheap especially if you are using more than one camera system. I am using two currently and I really-really need to have 100 reasons before buying another lens.

So, there are a lot of consideration to take in a DSLR, as it is considered as an expensive investment especially if you aren't making money out of it. As a enthusiast photographer as I am, I'll just worry less about getting the latest tech-savvy camera out there, but pick one, with the best value for money and go all out on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment