Friday, December 13, 2013

Manual focus

I used to enjoy fine tuning my focus on the camera. Especially, when I first learned how to use a DSLR, I heavily manual focus. However, recently, my eyes seem to have a tough time discerning the focus, especially on my optical viewfinder and when using large aperture lenses. 

Manual focusing can be fun, but it is also time consuming especially if you're not used to using manual focus lenses. The best manual focusing lenses have a very smooth and solid feeling when using the focus rings. This allows for accurate and quite speedy focusing.

Manual focusing is especially useful in low-light, this is where, this technique shines. However, for me, I still find it quite tough because of my sights. I prefer the use of autofocus which is very good in modern DSLRs and unless pressed, I will stick to auto-focus.

So, goodbye to manual focus lenses for now. I am all automatic.

Figure 1: Large aperture MF lenses.

1 comment: