Monday, October 21, 2013

A thousand smiles

Figure 1: View at the Tip of Borneo.
Last weekend was a blast, it is a great opportunity for me to get-away from my workplace just for a moment of rest. I am just like a pressure cooker ready to release the steam out at the right moment and I am glad I chose to leave the island just for the weekends.

Figure 2: Not so hi-key.
I admit that portrait photography is not my staple shots but I decided to do try it out with a few friends. I do not have much experience in shooting people and I have to admit that I myself do not know how to pose nor how to direct people to pose. I can say that I suck in posing.

Figure 3: Sweet smile.
For me, in the model point of view, most important is the eyes, facial expression and also pose. I am also not used to composition. For these portrait series, I am using the Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake lens coupled with the Canon 20D crop sensored camera. No flash and shoot all in RAW format.

Figure 4: Water is the essence of life.
However, during this trip I have the opportunity to photograph people in different situations both controlled and uncontrolled. I learn a few tips too on how to shoot portrait from my fellow friends, still with these results I believe I am still far-away and need to learn more.

Figure 5: Eyes of an angel.
Shooting outdoors it is important to see where the light is and where it is reflected. This so that harsh dark shadows which may cause the model's face to have dark patches which in some situations is quite desirable. As I am working without a flash and in uncontrolled environment, natural light placement is important.

Figure 6: Red riding hood.
My preferences for my images are that the white balance must be as neutral as possible reflecting the surroundings as much as possible. That is why I shoot in RAW and always calibrate my monitor to ensure it is as white as possible. This is my habit for my landscape photography.

Figure 7: A smile makes all the difference.
I am not so good in portrait photos composition, I always cut some of the limbs here and there and mess up my background. I need guidance from my fellow photographers in this and even in controlled situations I can't seem to get my compo right. I need help in this.

Figure 8: Beautiful lighting.
I enjoyed taking portraits after just focusing on landscape photography. There is a certain magic which makes photographing people special and that is why I believe that, this kind of photography have a certain something to my heart.

Figure 9: Waves and wind.
Here and there I always try to incorporate people into landscapes which is my number one photography path. It seems like adding people always introduce more colour and meaning to the images I take. I love to capture those beautiful smiles and put them in beautiful places.

Figure 9: She's a tough lady.
Taking pictures of people will show the personality and these pictures will speak out for themselves. Pictures of them will last and there is a special memory within those images which will spell a tale. I believe that this is the special something which makes people images pop out.

Figure 11: What a beautiful world.
Lastly, I am so happy to be able to have the opportunity to spend time with these beautiful individuals. I am sure that God has blessed each one of them with talent and most importantly His words. It has been quite a tiring but fruitful and enjoyable weekend. Looking forward for more. Thank God.

Figure 12: God is love.

4 comments:

  1. Wow :) I love the way you capture Jane. Sweet. And ur pictures have their own way of telling stories. Glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jojo.. I enjoyed myself when taking these photos and I am glad you liked it too..

      Delete
  2. Nice post Alfred! I'm just admiring your photos rather than reading through. I would say keep on learning how to compose your subjects and take close up photos if possible. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie.. I really want to learn portrait photography.. I am so used to taking wide landscape photos that I tend to compose wrongly..

      Delete