Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Of buttons and knobs

Figure 1: Dials and switches.
I am first exposed to digital single lens reflex photography when I was in university. My girlfriend just both a new Sony Alpha 330 and I was psyched by that camera. During that time, I wasn't aware about my interest in photography, but it grows as soon as I touched the camera.

I started by using only the auto mode, as I didn't know what the P,A,S and M on the dials mean, everytime I dialed those settings in I was clueless as what to adjust and my photos are washed out. My girlfriend teaches me that M is the best way to learn and how to control the aperture, iso and shutter speed.

Not so long after that I learned to use M, and the fact that I couldn't select the AF point that I want for the camera annoys me. I soon find that going in to menus during shooting is really annoying and I missed a lot of moments by going into those menus.

After I finished my university, I decide to buy my own digital single lens reflex camera, and one of the most important features for me to shoot in M, is two control dials. The first camera I held with those type of controls is the Nikon D80 which is a very phenomenal camera. 

Ever since that, I always enjoyed Nikon upper level cameras which have two control dials to control both shutter speed and aperture. The iso button and also exposure compensation buttons are also within good reach. It is important to remember your controls as it may cause you to lose your photo.

I believe that the camera is a tool and is an extension of the photographer's self to capture images to the full potential of the camera's sensor. I superbly recommend those who are really interested in digital single lens reflex cameras to take these few points of control into consideration.

Canon's upper level cameras are also a joy to use, however with different dials and button placement, one should be better off choosing the system they want to shoot with. As for me, I enjoy using both Nikon and Canon digital single lens reflex cameras with those mentioned features.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know also what M and P.A.S. means...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marco, I guess you do now rite.. M is for manual mode, P is for program, A is for aperture control and S is for shutter control.. :D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. haha.. it is really poisonous and addictive.. though never regretted since.. :D

      Delete