Thursday, November 21, 2013

Respect the elderly

Figure 1: Family is important.
It is well known in my culture that we must always respect the elderly especially our parents. Since small, we are taught to respect and serve, but this culture is slowly diminishing as our country gets more and more modernized.

When I was growing up, I was a very rebellious teen who always disagrees with what my parents have to say. Recklessly, I always followed my own decision and I learned it the hard way. So it is always the best to follow those who have lived longer than you do.

I talked to my department's secretary and she expressed her fear of being sent to the old folks home when she gets older. She even tells me her experience going to an old folks home. An old woman at the old folks home has all the pictures of her successful children and tell great tales about them. But the secretary says, "where are your children now, when you needed them the most".

I've always kept this to myself, If I ever grow old, I hope that I will be healthy and prefer not to be a burden to others. If I am sick mentally or physically, I prefer a quick path to my long rest so that I will not be sent away to some crazy loco facility.

Despite everything, respect the elders, and our parents. They have cared for us since we're small and now its our turn to do our best for them, they may turn into babies and sometimes forgetful that we have to repeat again and again, but remember the times when we're just babies.

Figure 2: Despite the strife, respect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment