Saturday, August 31, 2013

Auto driven society

When I was born, life is still filled with a lot of manual chores, hand washed clothes, thesis-es, letters and documents typed using the type-writer,  not everyone had a computer nor a cellphone and there's no world wide web access for everyone during that time. 

Figure 1: Manual focusing the lens is a challenge.
Most of the fun I had during my early childhood days were out of the house and most of them were engaging with others in real-time. Life was simple and yet filled with fun and surprises. You never knew that person until you talk to them and interact face to face.

Those were real, and I first learnt to drive using a huge manual four-wheel drive. With a little bit of scolding here and there, I finally mastered that at the time huge 2500cc diesel monster and I didn't even went for a proper class for that, that's how effective home schooling is I guess.

Figure 2: Smiling before the rain.
These days, everything is so automatic, you can know that person's biography without even meeting them to say Hi. You don't even have to have a deep conversation in a date to know her. Social sites have spelled it all out for you about that person's personality or if you're unlucky the other way around.

Camera's are very automatic these days, especially auto-focusing. I have to admit I am spoiled by those lightning fast AF that I lost touch of manual focus. Now when I tried it back, I have to admit, it is a very tough feat to actually manual focus and I really respect those who do so professionally.

Figure 3: Manual focusing in the heavy torrential rain.
Life is getting more and more automated and we're getting more and more lazier to work things out. I found this slightly disappointing due to the fact you can actually get more fun when you override to manual. It gets tougher but more fun. 

Figure 4: Dark heavy clouds engulfs the horizon.
It's like having a sports car with all 6-speed manual gear instead of an auto shift-er if you get what it mean. Well, for myself to actually own a sports car is probably in my dream but to appreciate fully, I would say, get a feel of manual then slowly shift to auto. You'll definitely miss manual. 

*The pictures in these post are taken using manual focusing, this is where I got my gear drenched in the rain too, so it actually worth it to invest in better weather-proofed cameras*

2 comments: