Saturday, March 10, 2012

Working lately..

Have been so busy lately, currently review and correcting the proposals of my underlings. Still it isn't appropriate to use that terms so I'll just say, work colleagues. Since I was assigned to handle the whole project, I was supposed to look at it from the bird's view, that's what my boss mentioned. 

With that said, I wonder what does review and correcting my underlings work have to do with looking up from the bird's view. Opps, I guess I used that inappropriate term again. As I was busy reviewing and correcting, I pondered upon the real difference between a boss and a leader.

I guess I've never think about it thoroughly,

To note I've had experience with a terribly bad boss when I was having my internship at a wholly Petronas-owned Fertilizer Plant located at West Malaysia. That boss requested me to draft a whole P&ID diagram and make it fully functional using PLC. Sorry for the instrumentation terms.

To make things short and less technical, I finished it up in about a week only to discover that the boss claimed my work. So it's basically all for nothing, I didn't even get some credit or even a word of "Thanks". That's when I realized that despite studying in the US, one can't be called a decent engineer.

That's when I realized that there is a significant difference in either becoming a boss or a leader. 

"A boss will want to drive his employees aka underlings crazy with his needs, but a leader will coach them."

"A boss depends on his positional power or authority while a leader relies on his own goodwill."

"A boss will want to inspire fear in his underlings, while a leader generates enthusiasm."

"A boss always says "I" while a leader will substitute himself as part of the team and say "We"."

"A boss places blame on any plant breakdown while a leader fixes that breakdown."

"A boss knows how it is done, but a leader shows how it is done."

"A boss will use his underlings, whilst a leader develops people."

"A boss takes credit from his underling's work while a leader gives credit to them."

"A boss commands, while the leader asks."

"A boss says, "Go!!!", while the leader will say "Lets Go"."

Well, I don't want to have a boss like stated above so I'll be a leader. That is why I'm actually helping out my colleagues and guiding them through out the process of the project development, be it electrical, instrumentation and even mechanical wise I'll do my best as the project leader.

Gambate!!!

2 comments:

  1. when I was doing my internship, my boss was a total mess-up.Little did I know, that I was hired by the same company once I graduated that was why I am stuck here now.

    Well I mean that's not appropriate way to give an instruction right...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A boss will always be a boss if there's no effort for attitude change..

      I'm sure you'll find a better company soon enough, one that builds you up and rewards you well too.. :)

      Delete